C-SPAN is pleased to announce the new theme for 2018:
“THE CONSTITUTION & YOU”
Choose any provision of the U.S. Constitution and create a video illustrating why it's important to you.
StudentCam is C-SPAN's annual national video documentary competition that encourages students to think critically about issues that affect our communities and our nation.
This year students in grades 6-12 are asked to create a short (5-7 minute) video documentary on a topic related to the new 2018 competition theme, "The Constitution & You: Choose any provision of the U.S. Constitution and create a video illustrating why it's important to you."
With cash prizes totaling $100,000, C-SPAN awards prizes to 150 student documentaries, and 53 teacher advisors.
- The competition is open to all students in grades 6-12. Grades 6-8 will compete in the Middle School category, and grades 9-12 will compete in the High School category.
- Middle School students are judged nationally against their peers. High School students are judged regionally against their peers in one of 3 regions (West/Central/East), based on their school state.
- Students may compete individually, or in teams of either 2 or 3 members.
- All documentaries must include supporting C-SPAN video that relates to the chosen topic.
- Winning StudentCam documentaries will thoroughly explore a variety of viewpoints related to the chosen topic, including those that may oppose the filmmakers points of view.
- Documentaries must be between 5-7 minutes in length .*End credits, if applicable, are permitted to run longer than the allotted 7 minute time frame.
- Entries must include either end credits or a works cited list.
Key dates, including the competition launch and submission deadline.
- Monday, July 10, 2017
C-SPAN announced the new theme of our StudentCam 2018 competition.
- Monday, September 18, 2017
Constitution Day: C-SPAN will officially launch the StudentCam 2018 competition.
- Thursday, January 18, 2018
Submission Deadline: all eligible documentaries must be uploaded by midnight (PST) at the end of the day on Thursday, January 18.
- Wednesday, March 7, 2018
C-SPAN will announce the 150 winners of the StudentCam 2018 competition.